CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, October 3, 2010

Grand Tour Part 3: Marysville/Browns Valley

The next stop on our tour was the John Cherry family in Browns Valley, CA. This is my brother and his family and we loved every second with them. I'm totally bummed that we didn't get more time with them. I didn't really get to spend much time with my brother but we did get to bond over a Man vs. Wild episode that had me running out of the room. I love my brother so much and I love getting to be with him and his family. They make me laugh and make me feel like I'm the luckiest Aunt in the whole world.

WATER PARK

I can never remember the name of this water park because it is something kind of random, but there is nothing random about the fun had by all. It was such a fun water park. We were there last summer with the Cherry's as well and I have to say, this time was much better for the boys. They were one year older and more willing to play in the water without my help and attention. Plus they had just finished their swimming lessons for the summer and were LOVING swimming from the steps to me and back. They also were playing "alligators" and swimming all over the water structure. Here they would lie on their tummies with their faces in the water and float up to the top of the water and use their arms to guide them. It was pretty fun to see how adventurous Nate got in the water. It's the only thing that he has shown such fearlessness in.


L to R: Jill's three kids, Nate, Elly, Lilly, Drew, Maggie, Christy, Lewis, JoWe had so much fun with cousins and with Christy's friend Jill's kids too. It was such an awesome group and we'll definitely have to do it again. Maybe next summer we'll have to do it at our water park...what'cha think Chris?
HANGING OUT WITH COUSINS


Elly and Nate getting absorbed into some cartoon. These two were so adorable together. I had no idea how much they were alike, or rather I didn't believe Christy when she said they were identical. Well I quickly learned on this trip how much these two kiddos act and think alike. They had so much fun pretending and taking turns being "in charge" (aka bossy) and coloring and reading books and running around. It is for this bonding and friendship that I MIGHT consider doing the trip another year. It definitely made this trip worth all the headache and car problems.

Miss Maggie mastered the art of sitting up and reaching for things within a body's length.

These two spent the entire week together. Where one was, the other was sure to be. ;) And since Maggie was still immobile at this time, we know in what order that goes right? Lilly was so tender with her and so loving and wanted to do anything she could to help. She brought me diapers (on many occasions) and wipes, ran to inform me if Maggie fell over, brought her own toys and books to share with Maggie, and mostly she just loved on her...big smooches and hugs. So sweet!

Maggie had a great time sitting in her bumbo looking out in to the back yard to feel like she was a part of things with her brothers. Because this is what they were up to:

Scooters outside! After months of Texas summer heat and humidity, the blistering sun of California didn't keep them from enjoying the outdoors. I don't think they even minded how hot it was. They were just thrilled to be outside riding their scooters. They did get hot and sweaty but they lasted outside for more than 3 minutes like if we had been home. I love that Drew picked out Elly's helmet and you'll notice the butterfly. It was a coveted helmet between Nate and Drew.

Drew also enjoyed the added difficulty of Jonas' scooter, rather a Razor. Andrew had never been on one before and he mastered it within moments. It wasn't too long before he wanted me to take pictures of his "tricks". Gotta love the one leg kiddo!

We love you Drew! When did you get to be so big? It was shortly after this trip that you finally turned 3 years old. It seems like you've been 2 forever because you've always wanted to do big boy things.

one of my all time favorite pictures of Nate. I think it is just one of those quintessential shots of childhood. Hot red cheeked kind of summer. I love the raised shoulders and casual pose. Nate...I think that I just love YOU and that's why I love this shot!

HAIL THE CONQUERING HERO

So it turns out that living in the same home you grew up in creates opportunities to be in charge of stuff that previously just the parents did. For example, Christy has never had to change the water in the water cooler. She was nervous and felt certain she would spill the entire contents of the jug on the floor. Well I have the proof that my sister is really super-woman in disguise. A single drop. Yup. A single drop of water.




"Yes! I did it!"

SWIMMING

It was so hot in Marysville that Christy's friend took mercy on us and let us come swim at her mom's house. It was such a fun house for the kids and so beautiful. They had a trampoline, treehouse, waterslide and diving board. It was perfect for all the kids, including the "big kids" aka adults.


Lilly, Drew and Nate took a little time our from swimming to play on the trampoline.

And of course it would be one of my children that inherited the "Grandma Cherry" gene or the klutzy gene...Here is Nathan who some how found the one hole in the entire padding and almost fell under.

I love these next two pictures of Elly. When we got to the pool, there were two little girls already in the pool playing. They were diving off the board and swimming to the side. Jonas quickly jumped on that bandwaggon and wanted to start going down the slide. (That child is fearless!) Elly wanted to jump off the diving board but had never done it before. She asked Christy if she could do it and of course Chris said, "Yes! Go for it!" When Elly got up to the top of the board you could tell she was super nervous. She looked down at Christy who was in the water waiting and watching with these ginormous brown eyes questioning what she was getting herself into. Christy told her, "Elly you are going to do this and you're going to love it! In fact, I think you're going to want to do it again and again and again." Elly instantly got this determined look on her face and started repeating, "I will do this. Let's do this. I will do this."

And sure enough she did with one last "Let's do this!" I love the look of pure focus and dertmination on her little face.

And just like her mom predicted, she did it again and again and again. So proud of you Eleanor!

Here is Jonas sporting some wicked awesome swim gear. Jo, we love you!

Can we come over and play tomorrow? We miss you Jonas and I wish I could wave back at ya in person.

A little more trampoline fun with Aunt K-whisty Deeeen.

Maggie was an angel on this trip. Seriously considering she wouldn't sleep anywhere other than on top of my chest (basically neither one of us slept the entire trip) and was totally sleep deprived, she was still a content little girl. Here she is sitting on the gorgeous lawn eating grass blades. What more could a little girl want?

Maggie Lynn whatever in the world did we do to deserve you? Don't ever stop smiling my wee little one!

Patiently sitting in the swing while I get the brothers towelled off and changed and everything all packed up to go back to the house...She didn't even get to really swing in it...she just sat there like a perfect angel.

THE CALL
While we were visiting we got to be present when Dean and Bev got their mission call. In fact, I got to be in the car with Bev when she pulled the envelope out of the mail box and I got to help curtail the hyperventilating. They were VERY excited to find out where they were going.


And they weren't the only ones...Everyone was sitting on edge waiting for the big reveal.

Well, everyone except Lewis. He was more than content to sit on Grandpa Dean's lap and eat his hat.

But everyone ELSE was excited!

I thought this shot was so funny! Dean opened the envelope and was holding the letter and Bev reached over to grab it and he pulled it away and told her she got to read the last one...It was pretty funny.


And drum roll please...Elder and Sister Ellyson will be serving in the...Baton Rouge, LA mission...and they leave in...2 weeks!!!!! Yup, that's right. They got their call on a Thursday and they were to report in the MTC one day shy of 2 weeks later.

0 comments: