CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, September 27, 2009

A worldwide sisterhood

I wasn't able to attend the General Relief Society Broadcast last night, but I was so beyond grateful when I discovered I could watch it live from my home. As I sat in my bed having contraction after contraction, I was overwhelmed with a sense of "sisterhood" and a deep connection to each of my friends and family and those sisters I have not met...and I was grateful. So very grateful. I was especially moved by the second verse of the hymn that was sung, "How Firm a Foundation". In primary we are singing that song, but only the first and third verses and so the second verse just popped out at me and it hit home.

"In every condition, in sickness, in health...at home or abroad...As thy days may demand...so thy succor shall be."

I found it especially amusing as I was listening to these words and watching my children run circles around me crying and screaming at each other that my days do indeed demand a lot from me, but that if I will but be willing, the Lord's out-stretched hand is there waiting to succor me. For every moment of pain or frustration or "demand" on me is equal to my Savior's grace and love and willingness to succor me. Why is it so easy to forget that? Why do I constantly think I can do it on my own? I can't. I've tried and failed and continue to try and fail and all along I've known how much easier it is with the Lord by my side. So, with this knowledge I have a choice. You'd think it would be easy to make, but why is it so hard? I want so much to "choose the better part".

I'm so grateful for my dear sisters in the world that give of their time and talents and testimonies and for brief moments like last night that remind me I am a part of something so great.

3 comments:

Sally said...

Thanks for sharing your experience--I needed to hear that. I currently need an attitude change. :)

Amanda said...

Bird... What abeautiful message. Thank you for sharring...

and WOW... only 11 days... you are so close! this is so exciting...

miss you, love you, can't wait to hear the good news

Bethany said...

I love you Tracy. I just wanted you to know that. I decided to check your blog really quick...you know keeping an eye out for a baby announcement ;)! But instead, I get to read exactly what I needed 'hear.' Funny thing is right before I checked I was thinking how I need to talk to you and learn from you (cause I always learn something from you). So thank you. I know we don't talk near enough, but I love that you are still there being my friend regardless. (And always such a great example and strength to me.) Again, Tracy dear...I love you!