CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, September 11, 2009

No pictures yet...and calling "Uncle"

I haven't put up any pictures from our trip...but I'm trying to keep afloat and somehow the pictures keep getting pushed further and further down the "to do" list. I HAVE to get those up...maybe today?

And I'm calling "Uncle" and asking for all moms to give me some help! I don't know what to do with Nathan. He is old enough to start understanding the concept of "lying" and "dishonesty" but no matter how many heart to heart talks, time-outs, and punishments, he's not getting it. Most recent case in point:

J & B came over last night to visit teach (let me just add that it totally changed my attitude for the day and I haven't slept that good in months!) and B brought over a plateful of some super yummy chocolate chip cookies. I left them on the kitchen counter and went to bed. This morning the boys come into our room to wake us up and to tell us "it's morning, you're supposed to be up." Eddie has a major presentation today so I got up (I know, I am spoiled and normally Eddie gets up and lets me sleep a little longer) with the boys and started to make breakfast. Nathan starts to complain of his tummy hurting and doesn't want to eat his Cheerios and peaches. (You thought I actually MADE breakfast?) I take a closer look at his face and there is chocolate all over his lips. I begin to suspect...when I go look for the plate and see that it is gone, I begin to really suspect. But I didn't want to jump to conclusions because Eddie has been known to munch his way through a dozen cookies but the plate wasn't in the trash. I begin a search of the house and for the life of me I can't find them anywhere. I'm getting nervous, because after all, how clean can a 4 year old eat a cookie?

I finally confront Nate, and he just looks at me like, "What? I didnt' do anything?" After some prodding and verbal game play on my part, I finally con him into showing me where he hid the plate of cookies. His defense, "Well I didn't eat all of them." I SHOULD HOPE NOT! There were at least 8 cookies left on that plate last night. And what did he bring me? A plate with 1 1/2 cookies on it. Well no wonder his tummy hurt. And where was it hidden? His current location that I can't get to because I can't bend over...under his bed. He just kept asking me as he was pulling them out, "But how did you see them? How did you know they were under there? How did you see them?" I told him, "I didn't know...but I suspected." I won't go into the "explanation" conversation that then took place as he wanted a detailed explanation of what "suspected" means and then he sat in a time out.

This was all after Eddie had a very long, in depth talk with him LAST NIGHT, as in the last thing he was told before he stole the cookies. It's obviously not sinking in...what do I do?

3 comments:

April said...

That is a tough one. Good luck! My little bro Jeff was somewhat of a liar growing up. I remember once he shot himself in the hand with a BB gun, but told my parents he fell off the wall and the BB went into his hand. I know it is a hard habit to break...maybe reward him when he tells the truth. I don't know...I wish you luck though!

Bethany said...

I have no idea. I wish I was more help. Kaeson does the whole, "But you can't see me." When he is doing something that he knows he's not supposed to. Like he can't get in trouble, cause we can't see him. We have had so many talks about what is wrong is always wrong, even if you are all alone. And Heavenly Father can always see him, and all of that. He doesn't do it as much, but it still happens. It's always interesting though, because you know that they can understand that they did something wrong, or they wouldn't be hiding the evidence. If it's any consolation, it does seem like I've heard many different variations of this same problem from lots of parents of 4 year-olds, so at least we're all in it together right? Like everything else, consistency is always best, but you know that. You are an amazing mother my dear, and I am sure he will grow out of it. I love you!

Shell said...

Every kid goes through a phase like this - and frankly, the really smart ones seem to hit it earlier! The thing I discovered with Scott was to be VERY careful with my questions - essentially, stop asking question you think he'll not want to answer honestly! Doesn't stop it, but significantly decreased the stress between Scott and I, which was the REAL problem. I was happy to help him learn and understand, but I hated being upset with him all the time!

I really think that, as Nate's emotional maturity catches up to his amazing intellect it will be so much easier for him to make good choices.

Love you, cuz, and love those sweet boys too!